Nonresident Alien Payments

Accounts Payable reporting of foreign visitor payments is managed through Sprintax Calculus, a web-based, nonresident alien tax compliance software. Departments making payments to and on behalf of foreign individuals will need to contact Accounts Payable for login information.

About Sprintax Calculus

For questions on Sprintax Calculus, please contact Accounts Payable at 520-621-9097 or email at

Additional training and resources will soon be available.

Payments to Foreign Vendors and Nonresident Aliens

Tutorial: Foreign Vendor Payments (EDGE Learning)

Please visit Policy 9.16 Payments to Nonresident Aliens in the Financial Services Manual for the policy on payments to nonresident aliens. To comply with the University policy and with the IRS and INS regulations, Accounts Payable is required to collect appropriate supporting documentation depending on the individual’s visa type which will determine if tax withholding is required based on information provided by the payee. For more detailed information on what documents are required and what payment(s) or service(s) the nonresident alien may receive, please visit the Payments Allowed, Documentation Required Under Various Visa Classifications webpage which is a part of Policy 9.16.

Prior to initiating payments on behalf of the University for a Nonresident Alien:

  • Email Accounts Payable at with the payee’s Nonresident Alien full legal name and personal email address if, the payment is subject to reporting or taxation (examples include but are not limited to: Services within the U.S., Royalties, Subject payments and scholarship/fellowship expenses).
  • Accounts Payable will generate a Sprintax login directly with the payee with instructional details for the individual to follow to complete their Sprintax record.
  • All immigration documents for the visa type, including but not limited to the following may be uploaded into the Sprintax application to process payment and determine if withholding is required or the expense/reimbursement is allowable.
    • I-94
    • Visa
    • Passport
    • I-20 if here on an F-1 or J-1 visa
    • If the individual is eligible for a treaty benefit, an 8233 Form will be provided through Sprintax and will need to be completed for Accounts Payable to apply the benefit to the payment prior to disbursement. 
    • To apply for the treaty, a Social Security Number receipt from a Social Security Office, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) will be required. 
    • For information on how to apply, please visit the Social Security Administration office