Before the Trip

Step 1: Who can travel and what is considered travel?

Who can Travel?

  • Any current Employee, Student or Designated Campus Colleagues (DCC)

What is considered travel?

  • Any mileage, even around town, is considered travel
  • Food and lodging will only be reimbursed when the trip is over 35 miles from the traveler's duty post

Step 2: What travel should be pre-authorized?

All travel on behalf of The University of Arizona must be pre-authorized, even if expenses will not be paid by the university. This will ensure that:

  • Travel plans have been authorized by the appropriate departmental approving authority
  • Funds are available
  • The traveler can document their official travel status if needed for Risk Management purposes
  • The travel has a legitimate business purpose; in the best interest of the university
  • The travel meets the IRS Accountable Plan.

Step 3: How do I authorize Travel?

Fill out a Travel Authorization with the following information:


  • The traveler's name
  • The traveler's EID
  • The dates of travel
  • The destination of the trip
  • The purpose of the trip, which must be in the best interest of the university
  • Approval by the traveler's supervisor of the trip and any exceptions:
    • The traveler will be on long term travel status (more than 30 days). See additional requirements for funding and meal reimbursements on long term travel.
    • Personal time will be taken in combination with travel.
    • Use of airfare other than coach/economy.
    • Use of private, chartered or rented aircraft or rented motor vehicle.
    • Vehicle taken out of state (whether private, rented or state-owned).
    • Lodging charges in excess of established policy limits, which is not designated lodging as shown on a conference brochure.
    • Foreign travel, excluding Canada and Mexico, on State accounts.
  • Have the Travel Authorization approved by the traveler's supervisor, except in the case of Vice-Presidents and Deans whom the President has authorized to approve on their own behalf.


  • A travel budget
  • Requesting an encumbrance
  • Requesting a travel advance. If an advance is requested the traveler and the account approver must sign. Travel Advances may only be issued to active University employees, or current graduate students whose travel is funded with gift and designated accounts or a sponsored projects account.

Step 4: How do I fund travel?

  • Conference Fees can be paid with a PCard or Req
  • Airfare can be paid with a PCard or Disbursement Voucher
  • Airline, conference registration and lodging expenses can be prepaid utilizing the Single Use Account (SUA) credit card
  • The traveler can pay with personal funds and turn in an expense report. If expenses are turned in immediately on returning from their trip, reimbursement is usually in the traveler's bank account when the credit card bill is received.
  • The traveler can request a Travel Advance which will need to be paid back within 10 business days of returning from the trip.

Step 5: What is an acceptable receipt?

Receipts may be delivered electronically but must be good quality and consist of the following:

  • An itemized list of what was purchased
  • The amount of the purchase
  • The date(s) of the purchase
  • The name of the vendor
  • The business purpose of the purchase

If the trip was to a conference you will need to attach a copy of the conference brochure/website/literature along with your receipts to the Disbursement Voucher. It should include designated lodging, meals provided (which will be taken off the meal reimbursements), as well as the opening and closing dates of the conference.

See our Resources for Travelers to obtain a handy receipt envelope and additional travel tips.